I went to MBA school for a year, deferring my medical school admission. I went for a year and then decided I really did want to save lives for a living. Sometimes I wonder at the choice, and with all the changes that are occurring in health care, I wistfully think what it would be like to have the letters MBA behind my name instead of MD.
Here are 13 reasons an MBA is better than an MD:
- You don’t get sued for malpractice.
- The student loans are smaller, much smaller.
- There is no residency.
- Someone is not going to die in spite of your best efforts.
- Your pay is not based on some arcane formula developed by a mysterious entity called RUC.
- Your charts won’t be RAC’d.
- Your pay will not be determined by the President and Congress, who have very little knowledge of what you really do.
- Profit is your only motive.
- “Rapid Response” is when you answer an email quickly.
- A “code” is something software developers use.
- You learn about technology in school, not in the middle of the night when your hospital’s EMR “goes live” as you are trying to finish an ICU admission.
- Lawyers are your friends–after all, who else reads over all those contracts?
- You don’t get called in the middle of the night for a low potassium.
Yup, PookieMBA has a nice sound to it! I could run GM!